The best and most authentic butter chicken recipe out there. Butter chicken is slightly sweet and sour. Restaurant style Indian butter chicken has onion and tomato based gravy garnished with butter and cream. The taste of the creamy bright coloured masala with chunks of grilled chicken in it is an unforgettable one.
Preparation time: 25 Minutes
Cooking Time: 2 Hours 40 Minutes
Marinating: 3 Hours
- 6 medium (about 1kg) skinless chicken cut into 1½ inch pieces.
- 2 tablespoons tandoori paste.
- 1 tablespoon Mustard oil.
- 1 large brown onion, finely chopped.
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed.
- 1 teaspoon garam masala.
- 1 teaspoon cumin.
- 1 teaspoon coriander.
- 1 teaspoon paprika.
- 2 tablespoons no-added-salt tomato paste
- 1 x 410g tomato purée.
- 1 cup reduced-salt chicken stock.
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 cinnamon stick
- ¼ cup reduced-fat thickened cream
1. Combine chicken with tandoori paste in a large bowl; cover and refrigerate it for 3 hours, or overnight (if time permits).
2. Preheat oven to 160°C. Heat the mustard oil in a large flameproof casserole dish over medium-high heat. Add chicken and cook, turning, for 4–5 minutes, or until browned; remove from pan and set aside.
3. Add the onion and garlic to pan; stir until onion softens. Add spices and cook, stirring, for 1 minute, or until fragrant.Add tomato paste, tomato purée, stock, honey, and cinnamon and stir until it brings to the boil.
4. Return reserved chicken to the dish; cover it and bake for 1¼ hours.Then uncover the dish and bake for a further 30 minutes, or until chicken falls off the bone and sauce thickens. Stir it in cream.At last serve butter chicken with steamed rice or any kind of flatbread.